Irish breakfast has in the past, simply been called ‘Irish Tea’ and was developed at the turn of the last century for the Irish market. Unlike its fore-runner English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast is much stronger, more intense in taste and bolder in colour.
Twinings has created a wonderful blend of African broken pekoe and tasty Sri Lankan broken orange pekoe, and this tea, whilst not available in the UK, is extremely popular overseas.
£4.00 for 100g tin loose tea
- We suggest
- More about Black Tea
"Exclusive in the UK to Twinings Direct"
We believe that how you make your tea is equally as important as the tea you use, so here are our tips:
- Use freshly drawn cold water
- Use water at a “rolling boil” (100?C)
- For best results – use a teapot! Use 1 teaspoon of tea per person and 1 for the pot (or 1 spoon in a cup with a strainer)
- Steep for 3 to 5 minutes (or to your taste) - as a rule: the smaller the leaf, the faster the brew
- Best with a splash of milk
… and for freshness every time, keep your tea somewhere cool, dark, dry and airtight!
"oxidation gives black tea its colour and richness"
Black tea, just like green tea, comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant.
- After plucking, the leaves are laid on drying trays & withered to remove some moisture and make more pliable
- The leaves are then rolled and may be cut
- "Broken" leaves are laid out & a heady mixture of warm air, aromatic juices, bacteria & enzymes leads to oxidation (a natural reaction that affects strength & colour)
- Oxidation is stopped by firing (with hot air) when the leaves are the right (brown) colour depending on the region
- The leaves turn black as they dry
... and finally, are sorted or graded by size
Black tea is a natural source of antioxidants that may help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals
All natural ingredients:
- Black tea from Africa and Sri Lanka
This was my tea of choice when I was living in Australia and am so disappointed that it isn't regularly available here in the UK (or at the same price as the rest of the range!). I'll have to save this one for a special treat.
got my tea delivery from you this morning of course the first pot was your irish breakfast tea oh my goodness oh yes the memories did start to come back the taste does not seem to have changed one bit then i just had to make another pot as one does i let it get a bit cold and wow i was back forty years in time with all the most delightful memories you cannot possibly imagine it has made memories long forgot come back.how your blenders have retained that very special taste is beyond me, well done twinings, from one very, very happy tea drinker please do not ever stop selling this wonderful brew thank you so very much
i am going to try this to see if the taste will trigger wonderful memories of my gran bringing it down to us on the farm cold in old whiskey bottles with the sandwitches some forty years ago then i would love to comment on the result if i may.
We welcome your thoughts, leave a Tea Tasting Note or Comment for others to read. Please Login or sign up to comment and rate this product. Need help? Contact Us on 0844 324 5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org